Monday, January 12, 2015

Birthday Boy Part 2 (and a recipe!)

***side note:  (Last birthday post was reflective, and somewhat sober, and I hope I didn't give the impression that we are wallowing in despair---we aren't!  There is so much hope in Christ, and so much joy he gives...I'll try to write a post on God's traveling through trials mercies!  We serve an awesome God whose mercies are new every morning...like I said....trials ARE a blessing!  And Jacob IS NOT a trial...he's one of the traveling mercies!  Hope that makes sense :)***


With the boys Christmas money from their grandparents we took them to get passes to the Georgia Aquarium.  In honor of Jacob's first birthday we went on Saturday and he did seem to be delighted in all the sights!  He has entered the cute "pointing stage".  I love it!  This age is just delightful.


This is the coolest room!  






On Sunday we had the official party.  Jacob kept leaning in on his granddaddy.  It was so sweet!  He really loves him!






His grandparents gave him this little Radio Flyer ride on toy and he absolutely loved it!  I've never seen him so excited about something.  He figured out how to get on it on his own and he scooted it all over the place with the biggest grin I've ever seen!  






Happy Birthday Jacob!  We adore you!  


And a recipe...this is the standard birthday cake recipe that I make.  It's kind of healthy because I use gluten free rice and oat flour, which I soak overnight in buttermilk.  What's more---it's moist and delicious!  The brown icing on top is actually just a basic buttercream vanilla---but instead of white powdered sugar, I used powdered sucanat (because I was out of powdered white sugar---probably a good thing....regular white sugar always produces a sharp headache for me---sucanat doesn't, and it also doesn't cause a sharp rise in blood sugar which is nice!  I made the powdered sucanat in my vitamix---easy peasy)

Buttermilk Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake

2 cups whole wheat flour (I use 1 cup gf oat flour, 1 cup brown rice flour PLUS 1 tsp xanthum gum)
1 1/3 cups sucanat (I use 1 cup)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
1/3 cup melted coconut oil or melted butter (I use butter bc Steve doesn't like coconut flavor)
1 1/3 cup buttermilk

Mix flours and buttermilk,cover, and let sit overnight or up to 24 hours in advance.  This makes the grains easier to digest.

Add remaining ingredients, mix until smooth and well mixed.

Butter 9 X 13 or 2 round cake pans.

Bake 350.  25-30 minutes for cake pans and 35-40 minutes for 9 X 13.
Done when toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Allow to cool than put on the icing!



No comments: