Monday, September 08, 2014

A little of life---a lot of life


This is what you would expect right?  So why does it bother me so.  Not the baby of course, but the mess.  I see it and I feel tense.  Deep breath.  Oh how I desperately want to change, to enjoy the meaningful things in life.  It's not meaningful to have a clean living room.  It's meaningful to play on the floor with your baby and make messes with your three year old.


It's not meaningful to sit in a room with your i-phone while the children play amongst themselves.  It's meaningful to read them a story all cuddled up cozy beneath the covers.


It's not meaningful to have all the dishes done while the boys play in the basement.  It's meaningful to wash the dishes together, laughing and splashing all the while.


Oh, well, enough of that.  It's also not meaningful to constantly feel guilty for doing the wrong things.  That I might just do a right thing tomorrow, by God's grace.


There were some meaningful, "right" things today.  By God's grace.  By God's grace when Benjamin was throwing such a tantrum (shouldn't he be over these?  He's five?), and after he took his cup and threw it across the kitchen splashing and spilling water all over the place, I encouraged him to pray and ask God for help to obey.  And you know what, he did.  He came over and put his head against my side and we prayed.  And you know what?  After that he obeyed.  And we celebrated.


God answers prayers.  Small prayers.  Big prayers.  Any prayers.  Asked according to his will.  And he will's GOOD.


Oh silly baby boy.  There you are with that tongue stickin' out.  You light up my life with joy!  Now lots and lots of pictures of pure joy!











This mothering thing.  I don't know about you, but it doesn't just flow naturally for me.  I'm so glad I'm not doing it alone.


But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

2 Corinthians 12:9


No comments: