Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Reminding myself....

Of the Most Important Things in Life...










Isaac attended a five day camp called, "Challenge".  We picked him up on Saturday.  After hearing that they only slept probably a total of 10-15 hours the whole week, ate the equivalent of about 1 meal a day, and worked tirelessly each and every day through hours of intense physical and military training, I am in in awe of this boy!  He wants to go back next year for the "extreme" Challenge!  I don't think they sleep at all in that one!  It's been amazing to watch my youngest child grow up into a young man, and I'm excited to see how God works in his life!


When Steve and I found out we were pregnant about 8 months ago, I gave him a plaque that says, "By Grace Alone" and a little clay figure of an infant.  I actually gave him two because they were sold as "twins".  Little did I know that that little soul would go on to be with the Lord, yet 10 weeks later we would find ourselves gifted again with another child!  And truly, we are daily finding the grace of God to be our sustainer.   Pregnancies aren't easy for me.  After the nausea ends the extremely painful sciatica begins, bringing me to tears to be on my feet.  Yet I must be on my feet.  In addition to the sciatica, moving around is painful for many of my joints and ligaments in the pelvic region.  When I walk, I feel as if I'm hobbling.  Already.  I'm only 25 weeks.  We have a child who is struggling, beyond our felt ability to help him.  It's been so painful I have felt the sting of death within me...  yet struggling to believe in and focus my heart on, the grace of God through it all, and not pour my tears upon the soul of this unborn child whose heart beats within me.

Yet through it all, the physical pain....the emotional pain....  God is here.  

He is HERE.

And He is Good.


As the seasons of my life change, I find my rest in an unchanging God.

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.


When I wake up in the morning, may I look to the One who can and will sustain me, and even use me to accomplish His eternal purposes.  When tears sting my eyes and I feel I can't take another step, may I rejoice because in my weakness his strength is made perfect.


"But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

When I feel afraid for my son, may I surround myself with Scripture, and take every thought and even emotion captive to the obedience of Christ.  The scripture below, while such a simple concept has such far-reaching implications.  It is so comforting to me!


"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord."
Proverbs 21:30



I have been encouraged through reading about believers of old, who lived courageously for the gospel.  Who suffered and struggled, but persevered and always rejoiced in God their Savior.


My Bible Study times in the evening are rich with truth about who God is...which comforts me...and practical help for marriage and mothering, which I so desperately need.


Marriage and mothering...  these are two areas of my life that I have come to realize I need daily encouragement in, daily instruction, daily reminders.  Respect is so critical and yet, without even thinking, doesn't come naturally to me.  I'm thankful that it is God 

that "works in me to will and to act according to his good purpose."  Philippians 2:13




Speaking to myself, "Abby-there are always going to be things to do.  God is always at work!  And so will you be.  And be glad.  For God has given you a husband to love and who loves you and takes care of you and five, soon to be six, precious souls to shepherd."

"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.  Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.  Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.  They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate."
Psalm 127:3-5


I'm thankful.
God is good, his mercies new every morning,
great is His faithfulness.
(from Lamentations 3:22-23)

No comments: