Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hiking and a Helicopter












I gathered up the boys on Friday morning and headed out to thrift shop.  My mission was "Keen" sandals for the boys.  I knew they would be a very unlikely find, but it was worth a try.  I mostly came back with good books for friends, as most good books that can be found thrifting, I'm now finding for the 2nd or 3rd time. I unintentionally arrived to one of the thrift shops an hour before it opened, which led to driving around trying to find something else to do.  We stumbled upon a building with an old army helicopter and a large missal/gun.  Turns out it was an organization called The American Legion, existing to serve our veterans.  Super cool!

My plan for the morning was to go thrifting from 9 to 11 and then take the boys hiking and afterwards picnic.  Plans had to shift somewhat when the thrift store didn't open until later.  It's one that is a great distance from my home and since I had driven all that way, I wanted to stick around until it opened.  My boys were very eager to hike, especially Benjamin, which was so cute, so we hopped on a trail at the Gwinnett Environmental and Heritage Center for about 45 minutes before heading home so Samuel could nap.  We actually took Sunny with us, something we rarely do because she barks and yelps terribly in the car.  But she did pretty good and absolutely loved tramping through the forest (no one else was on the trail so we let her off her leash).  Benjamin is still proudly talking about our "hike" and I'm sure glad he enjoyed it because he will get to do a lot more hiking in a few weeks when we take our trip out West.  

Oh, and I did eventually find one pair of Keen sandals the next day at a thrift store!  Woo-hoo!

No comments: