Monday, July 23, 2012

Benjamin and Make-Believe Harvey



"I'm going to see Harvey!"



"Hello Harvey!"


"Oh, hello Benjamin!  I'm glad you came to see me today!  What have you been doing today?"

"I've been playing in the lake with my cousins!"


"Oh, I bet your having fun Benjamin.  I want to tell you about someone....His name is Jesus.  He is my best friend.  He made me tall like this, and gave me branches for birds to build nests in.  Do you see my branches?"

"Yes, I see them."



"Do you love Jesus too?"

"No, I don't love Jesus.  I don't love my mommy either.  I don't like her." 




 "Oh, well, Jesus loves you and your mommy loves you too!"

"Well, I don't love Jesus.  And I don't love my mommy."







"Goodbye Harvey.  We are going home to Georgia today.  I'll come and visit you next time we come to the lake."



"Benjamin, I'm so glad you came to see me again today.  Have a good trip home and I'll see you next time you come to the lake.  Good bye!"



Okay, here is the explanation.  :)  We took Benjamin and Samuel on several walks during our time at the lake house to get them out of the house!  The house was not baby proof and our time was spent in a constant vigil hovering over them, especially Samuel.  On one of our first walks I noticed a tree decorated with eyes, nose and a mouth.  I thought how fun it would be to have it "talk" to Benjamin.  So I brought Benjamin's attention to the tree and a conversation ensued between them on multiple occasions.  We would come back and visit Harvey each day and then said goodbye to him on the day we left.  Benjamin really seemed to believe that the tree was real and was really talking to him.  I just changed my voice and turned my head a bit when I talked for "Harvey".  There were many conversations, but of course, the only one that would really stand out to me was the one where Benjamin told Harvey he didn't love Jesus or his mommy.  Of course, this doesn't concern me, he is three.  And him telling Harvey he didn't like me or love me was no surprise!  Benjamin is a fireball-oh how I pray for grace with this child.  He wants what he wants when he wants it and if you don't give it to him (I can't say yes to everything!) he screams, throws things, tears the closest paper up, whatever it may be, he destroys.  So he shows his displeasure in me and the limits I set on a daily basis!  If you would, pray for me for loads and loads of patience and wisdom on how to handle him!

No comments: