Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Going exploring

My mother-in-law and sister-in-laws visit Shipshewana, an Amish community nearby every year during our stay at the lake house.  I love going, spending time with my family in such a neat and nostaligic place.  Something about the brightly colored clothes hanging on the line, the white farm houses and buggies.  It is so peaceful to me.  If it weren't for Steve, I'd probably be Amish-or something close.  :)  Not the legalism-but the simple farming lifestyle.  I realize simple doesn't mean easy-they work very hard!  I admire them for that!

Anyway-one of the places we go is a large flea market.  As we were pulling out of the parking lot I saw the parking lot for the Amish!  Since I didn't see any around (they don't like being photographed)-I snapped a few pictures of their horses and buggies!





Just north of Indianapolis the corn fields begin.  I love this part of the drive!  It is so beautiful to me.  As I was openly admiring them Steve said, "you know those are GMO".  I said, "yes, I know...I'm not thinking about that part.  I'm in unrealistic nostalgia."  Ha!  Although I had already remembered the movie I had seen on Netflix called "King Corn" and about how probably most of this corn you wouldn't even want to eat.  It has been genetically modified to be high in certain components that are used industrially.  But the fields of GMO corn are there and I did admire the beauty of them anyways.  :)


On our way home from Shipshewana, I noticed a little sign in a nature area called "Indian Village".  I made a mental note that I should take the boys back there to explore.  One afternoon, to give Steve a break from following Samuel around, I loaded them up and we went back.  It was a spot for boats to enter into the lake and it was full of dragonflies!  I love dragonflies so I was enchanted!














No comments: