Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Getting out...

I've been buying raw milk the last few weeks and I take turns with a couple of friends picking up the milk. This was the first week that I actually went to pick it up as Steve has been able to pick it up previously. There is a beautiful greenway near the pick-up location so I thought that this would be a great excuse to get over for a nature walk with the boys. Steve was home so my eldest stayed home to continue cutting up the rather large tree that he chose to cut down without permission and Samuel who was due for a nap stayed home as well. It was nice to see some green amidst the barren trees and to be reminded that the birds still sing in winter. In fact winter is a wonderful time for bird watching as they are much easier to spot without all the leaves in the way!



Micah spotted this short tailed falcon in the forest. We saw it hop down and eat on the ground. It is always such a treat to see wild animals!






Micah, or should I say my young naturalist, pointed out some tracks. He was sure they were bobcat tracks...?



It was cold at first but we did eventually warm up.


Speaking of warming up that reminds me of something God has been teaching me lately. Being warm, kind, gentle...with my children. And with my husband. This matters to God. Love for Him and love for others is his highest priority. Often times my comfort, my household being in order, peace and quiet, being right, having the last word, getting it all done, not being interrupted, these are my highest priorities...I hate to admit.

When I raise my voice, when I speak harshly to my children, when I speak in a disrespectful tone to my husband, when I bark orders to my sons, when I respond with impatience, when my facial expression is hateful and stern, I

grieve the very heart of God.

He is gentle.

He is humble.

He is quick to forgive.

He is lowly in spirit.

He is slow to anger.

Quick to listen.

He is long suffering.

He loves his children. I grieve him when I treat them harshly because he loves them.
Really really loves them. And I mar his image to them. I represent who God is to my children and my anger and harshness grossly misrepresent his character.



"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and humble in heart..."
Matthew 11:29


"Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity."
Joel 2:13



God continues to sink in to me the truth that he will change me as I seek him in his word. I had started to have time in the Bible during naptimes but when I realized that I needed naptime to be able to accomplish all of our school work I lost that opportunity. As days turned into weeks and weeks have actually turned into about 2 months now without consistent time in the word, God was faithful to show me through Steve other opportunities.

I was reading a Christian book called Kisses from Katie when I would take a bath at night, or when I would sit down to nurse. Steve asked me if I was reading that in lieu of the Bible. I told him no, I just liked to have totally uninterruped time to read the Bible-sitting down at my desk with total focus. He said that since that time wasn't readily available than I should take the time I do have whenever I can. Reading other things isn't bad, I should just be sure I've read the Bible first.

Oh, I'm so slow to learn. But thankful that God will be faithful even when I am not.

"...being confident of this...that he who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus."

Philippians 1:6

No comments: