Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hodge Podge...


This is how I mop my floors:  I sweep or vacuum really well and then I take a big bowl and fill it with water and vinegar about 40 percent vinegar to 60 percent water.  Then I take that mixture and dump it sporadically all over my wood floors.  Then I take big towels that are used for this purpose alone and walk around with the towels under my feet or let the kids help, and scrub the floors down.  So it is mostly done with feet except under the table.  Then if needed, I take another towel to finish drying the floors.  I find this so much easier for some reason than using a mop.  I actually haven't dreaded mopping since I switched to this method.  And bonus!  The kids think it is fun!


The seed that Isaac saved from the compost pile and we planted has actually started producing green beans!  I am in awe about seeds.  I am currently growing a bunch of different flowers and herbs from seeds indoors, in peat pots, and the chamomile seeds were like the size of a grain of dust.  Okay, not that small, but they were TINY.  Like the period at the end of this sentence.  It just amazes me that an entire plant will grow from that tiny speck!  


I let the boys fill up a bucket of water and pour it into the ravine/creek/gulley they dug in the forest behind our house.  This is one of those classic things that is messy but you just have to let your kids do.  What is childhood without mud and water?


I took the boys to the Consolidated Gold Mine in Dahlonega, GA.  It was so neat!  They panned for gold first and then we headed into the mine....




So cool, walking deep down into the earth....  And it fit perfectly with a really fun book we had just read...







This was one of my favorite parts of the trek into the mine---the bats!  Of course I wouldn't have liked it if they were flying around but they were sleeping peacefully.


We stopped by this really cool dam before heading home...  What a great time we had!

2 comments:

Daphne said...

I have been wanting to take the kids to the gold mine for a long time. It looks like you had fun. You have the neatest feild trips. I want to come to your homeschool!

The mopping method cracks me up. I love to mop because I don't allow any childen in the kitchen while I am doing it. I have my arms and legs to myself for a few minutes!

Ginny said...

The gold mine looks awesome! I can't believe you got that close to a bat!!!
I want more puppy pictures!