Friday, March 10, 2017

Sheep Shearing at Hope Springs Farm

My little boys and I had the opportunity to visit a sheep farm on their shearing day.  We got to see sheep sheared last year and it is such a powerful way to bring several different Scriptures to life.  I think every Christian should visit a sheep farm and talk to their caregivers!  Considering God uses sheep to describe us and himself as our "Good Shepherd".  



"He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth."
Isaiah 53:7









 We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.  Isaiah 53:6

I asked the shepherd why the Bible says that we are like sheep in that we have gone astray.  She said that if the shepherd isn't constantly caring for the sheep, they will run off and hurt themselves.  They cannot survive without the care of the shepherd.  They aren't very bright!  This resounds so much with me...I definitely need my Father God!  

























My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  John 10:27

Here Jan is calling them in and they run right in.  When I stood near them they ran away and they certainly didn't come when I called.  In fact my mere presence scared them.

“When he puts forth all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. “A stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers.”   John 10:4-5



Oddly, these two babies though got along just fine :) 





We have a friend staying with us this week who loves animals....here she is holding a baby lamb who had just been born literally hours before!






It's little umbilical chord is still hanging on!  Jan and her husband are both veterinarians.  She gave us the opportunity to see her process for caring for newly born lambs...as she tagged him, gave him a shot and looked them over.  (there were two...twins!  A boy and girl)


Here the little guy gets weighed...7 pounds 5 ounces!


Our dear friend Florence came along as well....doesn't look she minds holding a baby lamb either :)



And you are my sheep, human sheep of my pasture, and I am your God, declares the Lord GOD.
Ezekiel 34:31




Thank you Hope Springs Farm for inviting us to your farm!  We are looking forward to coming again!

No comments: