Monday, June 23, 2014

Treasuring Him



I treasure this baby.  Is he MY treasure?  No.  But do I enjoy him?  Yes.  Do I get stressed out and have a hard time managing?  Yes.  Is my life dreamy?  No.  and Yes.  I have unimaginable and unspeakable hardships, but I have Jesus. And he is everything.  And he's given trials and he's given blessings.  He's given gifts to be enjoyed.  One of them is Jacob.  He's what this post is about!


He is five and a half months old now.  Growing too fast.  I've been disappointed each time I've had to put away clothes that he has grown out of.  I just did that again today.  Including the little newborn mittens.  You sure don't use those long.  But it's as it should be.  He's growing well and healthy and I'm thankful.


Yes.  Thankful I have a little baby to watch grow.


A little baby that always smiles.


And brings a smile to so many other faces.  Brings joy to hearts.  Glorifies God.


Yes.  Glorifies God!


Like I said, he is nearing the sixth month mark.  I started him on his first solid foods this past week.  Avocado pureed in the vitamix with water.  He took it the best today because I warmed it a bit on the stove.  I'm trying to feed him in the afternoons after his second nap.  I forgot yesterday and the day before.  He'll be alright.


Speaking of naps.  Could I ask for anything more?  Thank you God for giving me a Jacob who doesn't even cry when I lay him down to nap (twice a day---a 2 hour morning nap and a 3 hour afternoon nap), he lays right down and it's like he relishes the fact that I've laid him in bed and covered him with his crocheted blanket.  He loves that blanket I made him during that long, long pregnancy.  I'm glad he does.


The little guy goes to bed for the night about three hours after he wakes from his afternoon nap.  He's very, very predictable.  I rocked him this night.  I took that crochet blanket and I laid my baby down in it, I wrapped him up, and I plopped myself in the rocking chair and I cradled him like a newborn and I sang to him.  A little of this and a little of that.  Maybe a bit of nonsense.  But I had my baby.


And I was thankful.


And I held him and rocked him until I knew he wanted the comfort of his bed.  I laid him down and this time I didn't hit his head on my sock bin.  Yes, he sleeps in our closet and his little crib is situated underneath the shelf and when I was putting him down for his afternoon nap, it was too dark and I didn't realize how close I was to the shelf and I hit his sweet little head. Not too hard, but enough to make a poor baby cry.  I'm sorry little one!


In the past few weeks I was thinking about not having any pictures of this special time with my baby.  A friend offered to take some for us, but I don't want to trouble her.  So I asked my sweet Micah if he wanted to be a photographer for me this morning.  I gave him lots of instructions and told him if he learned well he could make some money with good photography skills one day.  That helped him accept my bossing a bit more.  I hope.


And so this beautiful summer morning in the summer of 2014, when I held my baby boy of the sixth kind in my arms, my sweet baby boy of the second kind put up with the mosquitoes and the bossy mom, and one day I'll remember.  Not as clearly as I would like, but whispers of a time long ago when I held new skin and tiny fingers that  fascinate young eyes....and fuzzy whisps of hair on a newly born head....I may remember.  I may remember and glorify God for the gifts of grace he's bestowed upon me...His child.

1 comment:

Rachel~At the Butterfly Ball said...

Hi Abby! I'm Rachel and I have 6 kids too! 4 boys and 2 girls. Our youngest babes are very close in age. I happened upon your blog this morning and wanted to tell you what a wonderful family it looks like you have! I adored all of these sweet baby pictures! I think I need to get my older kids to take some of me and the littlest like you did...to remember! Thanks for sharing your heart. I like blogs like this much better than the "Oh look at my picture perfect pinterest thingie I made" type blogs! Keep up the good work mama! Being a mom of many isn't easy, but it's worth it! :-) I'm glad I found you!
Hugs,
Rachel