Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How then can anyone...


understand his own way? for a man's steps are directed by the Lord.  Proverbs 20:24


Steve left yesterday morning at 6 am with Gracie.  She's romping happily now with her one remaining litter mate where she was born.




Somehow, after all the praying, all the thoughtful discerning, after all the asking of questions, after all the surety of our decision,
 somehow we ended up with an unhappy growling puppy.  


Mind you, she wasn't unhappy all the time, she wasn't always growling, but it was enough to make us doubt. Would she grow up and snap at our little ones?


With heavy hearts we agreed with the breeder to return little Gracie.  There were kisses goodbye.
Then we were left with tears and questions.


How can one know the will of God?  How can one have confidence in any decision?  
Were we wrong to get Gracie?  Had we not listened well?


Quietly though, gentle whispers in my heart.  
"Trust me.  I will lead you in indiscernible ways."


We want so badly to be sure we are right.  We wring our hands and twist our thoughts.  We wrestle and sweat and stay up in the night.  


Yet he beckons us...
to believe.
to trust.


"...if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.  But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a  wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.  That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does."  James 1:5


"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."  
Proverbs 19:21


I don't know why we got Gracie for a week only to give her back.  But I know I prayed about it.  I know I did the best I could to discern the will of God.  I know God's purpose prevailed.  It taught me that even if I make a wrong decision God will work it out for his own ends.  
And now I'm reminded of the most important things anyway...


"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.  For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God."  
Colossians 3:1-3

1 comment:

Jaime said...

We went through the same thing. I actually have a scrapbook page dedicated to the dogs that we "tried" out for our family. We knew we wanted another dog, we did our researched, prayed about it, and then adopted a puppy. She growled and bit and showed signs of "alpha" type tendencies. I knew if we worked with her enough, all would be well, but I had just had my daughter and just didn't have time! We went through a few dogs that way, some puppies, some adults. In the end our last hope was an adult female beagle/lab that we adopted SIGHT UNSEEN. She walked in my house (SO CUTE) and then peed blood...INSIDE. Not only was she peeing my house, but she was obviously sick. Long story short (and $600 surgery later) she is our wonderful Daisy! Had I know her issues, I wouldn't have considered her...but she is the PERFECT dog for us. She's wonderful, kind, easy going, and more. It took us a year and several "tries" but we found our family's perfect fit. You just never know. Don't give up!