Monday, May 24, 2010

Swirling in my head....

    are lots of posts I want to make!  Only our computer won't read the CF card so I can't get my pictures off of it so they will have to wait.  I didn't want to forget this funny thing that Micah said today:


"When your a Christian you can do good things.  When your not you can only do dirty rags."


At some point I guess we have taught him that although a Christian can do things that are good, they aren't good enough.  Our sinfulness apart from Christ taint every thing we do.  Only Christ's righteousness imputed to us, enables us to do fully right deeds.  God sees through us and knows every single motive of our heart!  Typically, I know that when I do something good, kind, noble or right, some sort of "good deed" I can't help but have some thoughts of "wow, what a good thing I'm doing".  And I will want the praise and approval and recognition of others.  I'm truly sinful right to the core!  



6 All of us have become like one who is unclean,
      
and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;
       we all shrivel up like a leaf,
       and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

 7 No one calls on your name
       or strives to lay hold of you;
       for you have hidden your face from us
       and made us waste away because of our sins.

 8 Yet, O LORD, you are our Father.
       We are the clay, you are the potter;
       we are all the work of your hand.

 9 Do not be angry beyond measure, O LORD;
       do not remember our sins forever.
       Oh, look upon us, we pray,
       for we are all your people.  Isaiah 64:6-9



When I get to Heaven I don't think any of my life is going to count for anything,   None of my "good deeds" will pass the test of perfection.  That is why I'm so thankful that God won't look at what I've put in my account, he will look at Christ's right life that was deposited into my account.


Here is what happens to those who try and do "good deeds" to save them:


30What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. 32Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the "stumbling stone." 33As it is written:
   "See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes men to stumble
      and a rock that makes them fall,
   and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame." Romans 9:30-32



Salvation and good deeds put in the right perspective:


8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  Ephesians 2:8-10

No comments: