Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Follow up on Fluffy-our pet chicken







Apparently, Fluffy is a unique breed of chicken.  She is genetically modified to suit the pockets of some high up business men who make their living off of the poultry industry.  She was pumped full of steroids to grow as fat as possible in as little time as possible.  Whoever modified her genetics did not care if she could walk or not.  I went to a website called Farm Sanctuary, which I would in no way agree with all of their beliefs, but on many levels I do.  I absolutely believe that we should take excellent care of animals.  They are God's creation!  Created for his glory!  In Proverbs it says that a "Righteous man cares for the needs of his animals."

Here are a few photos of common farming practice for chickens raised for meat and chickens raised for egg production.

I'm buying my chicken at Whole Foods whenever I can (it's expensive so we don't eat a lot of it!) as well as our eggs.  I can buy those for about 2.00 dollars a dozen at Whole Foods which isn't too bad.  Definitely worth knowing they were raised as God intended them!




1 comment:

Diane said...

The chicken industry overall is shameful. I watched Food, Inc. a few months back and it just stopped me in my tracks. I try to think before I buy but sometimes with the economy the way it is I have to buy some things that I really have guilt about.
Blessings
Diane