Sunday, April 11, 2010

Skirts...


Okay I know this is a terrible example of my new love of skirts but it's the only picture I have.  I had Isaac take my picture when we went to the park and I was wearing my new (from goodwill) skirt and my Harbins t-shirt.  At least I'm not deviating too much from my usual fashion no-no's.  I don't want to shock anyone or anything by wearing something fashionable and cute. :)


All right, on to my point.  Skirts.  I've often looked on with disdain at women who think they need to wear skirts all the time to be modest.  I mean, what gives?  Jeans cover your whole legs with no skin showing and one can try and find shorts that are a modest length.  So what is the big skirt deal?


Well, I'm thinking differently now.  I don't know what changed really.  But here's what I'm thinking lately.


Skirts are very feminine.  I mean who has seen a man in his right mind wearing a skirt (other than Scottish men in kilts)?  They don't do it.  Also, I have noticed that skirts are exceptionally modest.  Well, the long ones are that don't have large slits going up the sides or front.  :)


Our culture screams that we are supposed to be sexy.  Not just in the bedroom with your husband, but ALL the time!  Do you sort of have the feeling your supposed to look sexy?  I know I have had that thought and objective.  Why?  Why do we need to look sexy?  Are we an object?  Of course not!  We are women and God made us beautiful inherently.  We don't need to wear sexy clothing to be beautiful.  Our beauty comes from within.  Our modesty, our femininity, our good deeds, our warm smiles and soft eyes and gentle voices, and nurturing hearts, and serving hands, all these things make us attractive to our husbands.  And quite honestly attractive to others, but not in a bad way.  In the way that God wants us to.


Dressing in a sensual, sexy way may get us the attention of others.  But it draws attention to ourselves, our bodies, not Christ.  I've had to by pass some clothing because, although it was modest, the pattern was so loud that it screamed, "LOOK AT ME!"  I don't want my clothing to draw attention to myself.  We as women,  like Adam, were created in the image of God.  So that means femininity reflects the Father.  I want my clothing to accurately portray his image.  The only way I know how to do that is to follow the guidelines he has given in his Word.


1 Timothy 2, verses 9 through 10 say, "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.


And 1 Peter 3 through 6 says, "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.  For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God made themselves beautiful.  They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master.  You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."


I feel so beautiful when I am dressed tastefully modest, when I am serving, when I have a smile for Steve and a good dinner cooked, when I'm nursing a baby, or pregnant, or baking bread, serving the elderly, bathing my children, preparing a meal for someone who is sick, or otherwise serving in some way.  These are the things that make a woman radiant.  I'm so glad that God has shown me the lie of our culture that says that I need to have a perfect body and dress sexy.  I'm no longer a slave to the idol of wanting man's approval.  


"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."
Proverbs 31:30


"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.  Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."  Titus 2:3-6


If I were to sum up what God has been teaching me in one sentence it would be this:


Christ is beautiful and the way that I dress and the things that I do will ,I hope, reflect his beauty.


I don't in any way, shape or form think I have this thing figured out.  I don't claim to know what it means to live out what God is saying in his Word about dressing modestly and not braiding my hair or wearing jewelry. I don't think it literally means to forsake wearing those things in a modest way like the Amish convictions.  But I could be wrong.  I'm a little uncomfortable with what those verses should mean for me but for now I am thankful for what God is teaching me and the progress he has made in me.

1 comment:

loves2spin said...

* LOUD APPLAUSE!!*