Monday, March 22, 2010

Understanding our government...

The tears flowed freely as I blinked in disbelief---staring at the computer screen where Steve had CNN on, broadcasting live the House voting on the Health Care Bill. I looked down and read "House passes Health Care Bill". I thought surely it was wrong, I was wrong, it just couldn't be!

I feel in my heart that we are losing our country! The country that are forefathers fought and died for! I'm afraid we are going to have to fight again for our country. For our children's and grandchildren's sakes. I don't mean fight in the military sense, but we must wake up, we must realize that our vote and our voice count and we cannot sit back and live our comfortable lives with no involvement in political issues. That is what I have done up until this point. I haven't even voted for most of my adult years. I'm very ashamed to admit that. But not anymore. I'm prepared to raise up my boys into positions of governmental leadership. We need godly men in our government!

My concern is that first it is government mandated healthcare, next it is government mandated decisions on when we can and cannot see a doctor, then it is how many children we are allowed to have, then it is forced abortions, then it is what religion we are allowed to serve, and on and on. So as you can see this could have far reaching implications for our lives, for our children's lives, for our freedom. This country was founded on God's principles and God's ways for the Glory of God. It is slowly evolving into something very different.

So I'm determined now to learn more about our country's history and our government and how I can make a difference. Here are some of the things I'm reading:

I found the following at http://www.thisnation.com/question/011.html

Is the United States a democracy?

The Pledge of Allegiance includes the phrase: "and to the republic for which it stands."

Is the United States of America a republic? I always thought it was a democracy? What's the difference between the two?

The United States is, indeed, a republic, not a democracy. Accurately defined, a democracy is a form of government in which the people decide policy matters directly--through town hall meetings or by voting on ballot initiatives and referendums. A republic, on the other hand, is a system in which the people choose representatives who, in turn, make policy decisions on their behalf. The Framers of the Constitution were altogether fearful of pure democracy. Everything they read and studied taught them that pure democracies "have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths" (Federalist No. 10).

I can totally see the point in the republic verses the democracy. The democracy doesn't define leadership well, it makes all people the decision makers. This reminds me of something our Pastor was saying on Sunday. Something small but same point. He had designed a logo for our church and he said he didn't want everyone's opinions on it! It just was what it was! When you have 50 people giving their input it makes for very difficult decision making. So it makes sense that you have THE PEOPLE vote on and choose representatives for themselves. That way you take the 50 down to say 2,3 or 4 people who can make those decisions. It is much easier for a couple of people to make a decision than 50. 50 equals chaos.

And the people trust the decision of the few because after all, they chose those people to represent their own interests.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Abby,

I just finished reading Dr. Moore's blog post for today in response to the passing of the health care reform bill. I think it is a great perspective. It's called, "Do Not Fear." Here's the link:
http://www.russellmoore.com/2010/03/22/dont-be-afraid/
I highly recommend his blog. I love his godly insights!

Blessings,
Dana