Wednesday, February 03, 2010

I got permission today...


from our home owners association to get some chickens!!! I'm so excited! I've been wanting chickens for a long time. I really would love a home on about 5 acres where we can get goats, chickens, a cow, a couple of horses, a sheep or two... and have a large garden, fruit trees, a bee hive, several pecan trees... a large red barn with a swing, a creek in the back that is just deep enough to get the boys wet but not deep enough to drown in... Can you tell I've been dreaming a little too much about quaint farm life???

Anyway, I was so shocked by my conversation with our Community manager. She told me that it was against the covenant to get the chickens but she manages the community and she didn't look in backyards and that she didn't have a problem with it if we got just a few chickens, so long as we didn't get a rooster. I didn't want a rooster anyway, so it works! She also said that if my neighbors complained of course that would mean we would have to get rid of them. I totally understand that. I don't think they will complain though! We are going to build a nice coop for them that isn't seen from the road and we won't let them run around pecking their gardens, so anyway, I'm so stoked! I screamed when I got off the phone with her. I just wasn't expecting AT ALL to get the opportunity to have chickens living in a subdivision.

Also, I wanted to say something about my last post. I realize just how very much I care what people think about me. This too is so sad to me. I kept wanting to take that post off. Like I don't want people to know how shallow I am, that sewing and organizing are more important to me than spending time with the Lord. I hate it but it's true. I'm praying that God would change my heart. (And cause me to be humble and more willing to share my faults and failures) This makes me think about just how fearful I've become lately. I think I've seen a lot more of my sins and inadequacies. Just how lacking I am. And I dread what may come out of me with friends or social situations, and fear what people will think, or that they won't like me. So I'm more afraid of opening up than when I first became a Christian. I used to think I didn't have a big issue with the whole "fear of man" thing but now I so do. I just don't want to screw up and then have people not like me. But there I'm only thinking about me. May God help me to think about others more!

Even with my heart being so wretched God is still so good to me. We started a special parenting program for kids with attachment disorder with my oldest son. At first it was horrible. He got so so so much worse. He ended up spending 8 days at a respite provider and has come back a much more manageable kid. At this point, for some reason, our life just seems so manageable. I've got a routine down, food planning seems to be getting easier, homeschooling is getting more natural (I'm realizing I'm kind of like an unschooler which is freaking me out and very unexpected), Benjamin is getting to be so much easier and so much fun! He has started reaching for me and grabbing on to me when he wants to be held. I love this! I love love love having him... he is such a gift to me!

When I look at him I just well up with extreme love and thankfulness. Each of my children cause me to feel overcome with gratitude to the Lord. He has given me so much, so much that I don't deserve. People ask if we want more children. I always say a resounding YES! Each one is a precious gift. I don't deserve anymore, but I will take each and every soul that the Lord wants to bless us with.


2 comments:

Daphne said...

I can't wait to talk chickens with you! We have had ours since last Easter and love, love, love them! We have 4 and I am thinking we will breed one of our "ladies" with a friend's Ameraucana so the babies will lay BLUE eggs! Chickens are so easy to care for and I am glad that we can live at least a bit of our country dream here in the suburbs.

Bookworm said...

Thanks for sharing, Abby! I hope to see you at Book Club soon! :-)