Friday, September 04, 2009

Thoughts on approaching God...

I realized a couple of days ago, I was praying with an attitude of self-righteousness. I was praying about a family situation that I've been praying for for a long time, and inwardly I recognized that I was thinking to myself, "God what in the world are you doing? Why aren't you answering my prayer? Why aren't you changing things? You should be and your not" as if I deserve for Him to do that which I was asking.

I had a light bulb moment when I realized that God doesn't owe me anything, we don't deserve anything, the struggles that we are having aren't his fault, he hasn't tempted any of us to sin, that comes from our sinful nature. The tone of my prayer changed when I realized that it is totally and completely his grace to intervene in our situation for it is our sin that brought us to this place.

God is good and so I am asking for him to be merciful and gracious towards us, realizing that we are frail and lost without him, and asking him to act on our behalf, not because we deserve it and not that God is obligated to do so. But He is good, so I know it is in his nature to work and redeem us and answer our prayers.

So I guess, I have stopped looking at what I perceive as what God is "not" doing and realize that I should beseech him, in a humble and low position, and ask him to intervene based on the fact that He is so very very good and it is in his nature to be merciful and good to his rebellious and lost children.

The Bible verse that turned this light on for me was James 1:12-14

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;

but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.

No comments: