Saturday, April 04, 2009

People who inspire me....



"I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and equal."--July 10, 1858 Speech at Chicago, Illinois

We recently read a biography about Abraham Lincoln for U.S.History. I can never read the last part of stories about Abraham Lincoln without crying. This man stood up for what was right in the face of fierce and violent opposition. He is a hero to me!



After reading his biography I was reminded of Sojourner Truth. We have her life story dramatized by Your Story Hour on CD. So I pulled that out and we listened to it. Her original name was Isabella Baumfree and she was an American slave, an abolitionist and a women's right activist. She lived from 1797 to November 26, 1883.



During the story about Sojourner, Frederick Douglass is mentioned. I've ordered his autobiography that I understand was instrumental in bringing about the civil war, it at least played a part, as it opened people's eyes to the evils of slavery. (Not sure how they couldn't see it staring them in the face) Here are some of my favorite quotes by him:

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress." Frederick Douglass

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." Frederick Douglass

"One and God make a majority." Frederick Douglass

"The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous. " Frederick Douglass

I really want to buy pictures of these people and people like them to put up in my house. I'm running out of wall space because of all my book ledges but I'm thinking that I have some good wall space in the kids play room. I want to tell them the stories of the faithful men and women of the past who stood up for God, for righteousness, for equality and justice and inspire them.

No comments: